How much time do you spend choosing bras and clothes that highlight the beauty of your breasts? Comparatively, how much time do you actually take to care for their health and beauty? A monthly cyst detection program maybe? Good start. Of course, I’m not talking about tattooing, piercing, breast reduction or size enhancement. I’m talking about nurturing your breasts with massage and natural skin care products. If you haven’t heard about marma massage for the breasts, don’t feel bad. Even the Internet and most popular Ayurvedic books on women’s beauty barely mention it, if at all.
Marma points are vital points of energy (mini-chakras) or access points to your body’s innate intelligence. They come in different sizes. At the physical level, they are made up of the congruence of 5 important structures: muscle, blood vessel, ligament, bone and joint. Vasant Lad, a master of Ayurveda, describes them as “secret dot or mystic point. Like a door or pathway, activating a marma point opens into the inner pharmacy of the body. (…) Touching a marma point changes the body’s biochemistry and can unfold radical, alchemical change in one’s makeup. Stimulation of these inner pharmacy pathways signals the body to produce exactly what it needs, including hormones and neurochemicals that heal the body, mind and consciousness.”
The marmas are the mouths of the nadies or currents made of the vibrations of Wisdom, Love and Creativity/fertility that feed you and emanate from you. They connect you with your deepest inner self, your immediate environment and the cosmos. The marmas and nadies can be polluted, blocked or deformed for physical, emotional or mental reasons, for example : wearing tight bras with wires which constrict the lymph nodes; suffering breast cancer; having had a mastectomy, breast enhancement or reduction; physical sports, car related or other injuries; piercing and tattooing because the inks now contain lead; emotional shock and negative belief systems about the breasts and femininity.
Three main breast marmas
1. The stanya marma is in the center of each nipple, the point that helps most to regulate lactation and take care of difficulties with breastfeeding.
2. The stanya mula marma or “root of the breast” is located approximately at the level of the nipple, one finger’s width to the right and left (one on each side). Massaging this point tones the breasts, reduces stagnation of lymph and congestion, balances changes in breasts associated with your menstrual cycle, and alleviates tenderness associated with fibrocystic breasts.
3. The stanya parshva marma is located to the right and left of the ribcage, at the level of the seventh rib. This is directly below a main area of lymph tissue, therefore tending to this marma helps reduce sensitivity, swollen breasts, and cysts or abscesses.
Two ways to massage the breast marmas
This type of massage can be done by yourself, an ayurvedic practitioner or a trusted partner.
1. Use the ring fingers on their own, with carrier oil (eg., coconut, sesame) and essential oils and massage 7 times clockwise and 7 times counter-clockwise. The marmas are magnetic and can feel like little vortexes that want to suck your finger. This helps remove toxins and other blockages, reshape bent marmas, facilitates the flow of prana, give access to self knowledge as well as to the nadis and other dimensions.
2. Use the ring fingers to press, hold briefly, and release each marma point and repeat for three minutes on each.
Do not be surprised if these points are quite sore. You may also feel sexually aroused during this massage as these marmas are connected to the genitals. Do not deny, attach to or repress these sensations; simply allow that current to travel where it needs to go. Taking care of your breast marmas will provide physical relief and relaxation. It is also another gateway to a great adventure in knowing your Self.
Essential oils for marma massage
While this massage can be done simply with bare hands and natural skin care products or with oil, adding 1 or 2 drops of essential oils to your carrier oil will provide additional benefits :
– Lavender, the great relaxant which is also the lover of all skin types
– Tulsi, a fabulous adaptogen, meaning that it helps adapt to any change the marma massage may bring
– Chamomile, the most tender of all caregivers (Scientific research on chamomile, thyme and frankincense essential oils were effective to destroy MCF-7 breast cancer cells up
– Monoï (maceration of tiare—a flower of the jasmin family–in coconut oil), the best of the best for breasts if you can find the traditional kind. If it stays liquid below 28C to 30C, I don’t recommend it as it has been chemically altered with for commercial purposes.