What to Expect During an Aromatherapy Session?
Aromatherapy is the use of the aromas and other properties of essential oils and hydrosols for healing at the physical, emotional, mental and subtle levels.
Your aromatherapy session will include a discussion about your needs, health condition, and your ayurvedic dosha if you know it. It is important to mention allergies, stress level, illnesses, injuries and sensitive areas. It is also useful to know if you are an adept of meditation and yoga.
Your aromatherapist will:
– identify with you one or several essential oils, carrier oils and or hydrosols to be used during your session
– clarify expectations
– offer a choice of inhalations, guided self-massage, soaks or compresses to address your needs, eg. stress, sore muscles, back pain, burn out, digestive issues, etc
– and may suggest essential oils for further use and complementary treatments
The very least you can expect is to feel more peaceful and refreshed than when you arrived.
What Is An Essential Oil?
Essential oils are extracted from plants through steam distillation, resin tapping, and cold pressing. They have been around for thousands of years, offering a variety of benefits from cosmetic and dietary purposes to spiritual and religious use. Essential oils were brought back to use in the early part of the 20th centure by French perfumer called René Gattefossé who researched the many benefits of lavender essential oil.
Essential oils are now used widely throughout the world and research is being conducted everyday in science labs to corroborate the benefits known to traditional uses.
Essential oils are gentle yet powerful, therefore need to be used knowledgeably and with respect.
What Is a Hydrosol?
Hydrosols, also known as “flower waters,” are produced by distilling fresh leaves, fruits, flowers, and other plant materials. Those most known on the market are hydrosols of rose, lavender and orange blossom (neroli) but there are many more.
Their properties are similar to those of essential oils; however, they are much less concentrated. Their aromas are often soft and subtle than their essential oil counterpart, which makes them very appropriate for facial treatments and baby care.
– in person: $90 for 1 hour
– Skype sessions: $55 per person for 1 hour. Includes 2 preliminary emails to discuss your needs. You provide the ingredients.