As your skin care consultant in Ottawa, it is a pleasure to share solutions for hair care and related issues such as dandruff, early greying, eczema in the scalp, falling hair, etc. Although not all the ingredients mentioned in this blog are easy to find in small North American cities, they can be ordered from specialized health food stores or online. Others are quite easy to get locally.
According to Ayurveda, causes of hair loss can depend on the dosha of the individual (Vata, Pitta, kapha), but excess Pitta is the main one. Pitta governs our metabolism, digestion and quality of blood. Hair being the tissue where protein is found in highest concentration, its growth depends on the quality of the blood.
Recommendations to restore hair health and growth
1. Bhringaraj (eclipta prostrata): Bhringaraj is known as the king of herbs for hair because it has the power to reverse baldness and prevent the greying of hair. It can be consumed as a herbal tea, or in powder or tablet form as a food supplement. You can also make a paste with dried leaves and warm water to apply on the scalp. Leave on for few minutes then wash off with clear water to strengthen your hair follicles.
2. Aloe vera juice: To prevent hair thinning, prepare 1/3 cup of aloe vera juice and mix with a bit of cumin powder. Use 2 or 3 times a day for 3 months.
3. Amla powder (Indian gooseberry): Amla is rich minerals, vitamins and antioxidants and is invaluable as a hair tonic. It will condition your hair, make it healthier and stonger, and prevent greying. Make a pack with amla, henna and brahmi powders along with curd (a soft, white substance formed when milk sours). Apply it on the hair; leave it on for 1 hour, then wash off. A mix of fresh amla and lemon juice may also be used on the scalp. Apply for 20 minutes, then rinse with fresh water.
4. Brahmi: This ayurvedic herb is used in hair tonics, for the brain, memory, intelligence, concentration, and alertness. Massaging the scalp with brahmi oil cleans the hair follicles, which further supports blood circulation in the head. It also be used to promote healthy skin.
5. Neem (margosa): Applying neem oil at night and washing it off in the morning with a gentle shampoo prevents hair loss. It is also a powerful remedy for eczema in the scalp and skin. Warming: some people love its penetraing and long-lasting scent while others, not at all.
6. Ashwagandha (Indian winter cherry): This is an amazing herb for hair rejuvenation. Since stress is an important cause of hair loss and ashwaganda is reduces stress, it is beneficial to strengthen your hair. It also protects against the weakening of the immune system, eases uncomfortable symptoms of menopause, helps with sexual problems, boosts memory, and elevates mood.
7. Methi (fenugreek seeds): This herb can be used as a shampoo. It is one of the most effective home remedies to slow down or prevent falling hair.
8. Ritha: This plant is called by various names, including soap nuts, boondi kottai and kumkudukaya. This plant has wonderful to get rid of dandruff, cleans and prevents falling hair by strengthening the hair follicles. To get shiny hair, take out the nuts from its cover, crush them and dip into 500 cm3 of water. Leave overnight, strain and wash your hair with this liquid; continue this for a month. In a short time you will notice an amazing difference. You can also use ritha to improve your complexion.
9. Sesame seeds: These seeds are a great source of calcium and magnesium in hair care treatments. Eating sesame seeds with breakfast every day will protect you against against falling hair.
10. Banyan tree: Grind the small part of banyan tree roots and mix with lemon juice to prevent your hair from falling. Apply the mixture over your scalp.
11. Hot oil treatment: You can use warm to hot coconut oil, brahmi oil or almond oil to vigorously massage your scalp. This will improve blood circulation and rejuvenate hair follicles. Within 6 months, you’ll notice that your hair grows better, longer and thicker.
• Avoid spicy, fried and oily foods because they increase Pitta.
• Do yoga and meditate as these to fight stress and uplift your moods
• Avoid drinking alcohol, coffee, and smoking
• Drinking enough water daily is essential for proper hair growth
• Sleeping 7 to 8 hours every night is of utmost importance
If you have any question about this article or would like to treat a hair condition, make an appointment with Isabela, your ayurvedic skin care consultant in Ottawa.